Saturday, May 7, 2011

Proud to be an American

This evening I had the incredible opportunity to support my little (well, he's not really very "little" any more, he's 18) brother as he performed with New America Singers at Camp Pendleton Marine Base...

We arrived about an hour early as we had to follow the team on base in order to get on post. As we sat out by the car waiting, several platoons of men marched past in formation. The platoons marched by, chanting their steps and responding to their Drill Instructor. I couldn't help but be in awe as I watched them march, thinking of the commitment they had made to serve their country in this way. Hope was enthralled with the "toy soldiers" marching by and even once we went inside the chapel to wait, she kept watching out the window for them.

When it was time, the men marched in and took their seats. (Nothing like a room filled with 150 sweaty men in uniform) As the performance began, the men were welcomed and made aware that this was to be a Christian performance. They were given the option to wait in another room if they did not want to be there and I don't think a single one of them left. I really wasn't sure what to expect from either group, the singers or the recruits.

Aaron's team sang a variety of songs and various team members participated in puppetry and dramatic readings. At one point, as Aaron's group sang "I'm proud to be an American", the men stood one by one, side by side, shoulder to shoulder, truly representing what that song is all about. As I looked out over the sea of desert camouflage, it hit me that it is these men who will go to war to fight for our freedom and to keep our country free. It is these young men who have committed to spend 90 days in boot-camp and maybe even their lives, leaving their families and all that is comfortable and safe in order to begin their careers in the United States Marine Corps.

At one point Aaron's group (Aaron is my brother) presented the gospel. The team shared the message of salvation boldly and simply and I was a bit curious as to how these recruits would perceive them and receive their message. When the time came to give these men an opportunity to receive Christ, at least half of the room raised a hand. WOW. Here are these young men, stripped of all that they have for 90 days, hungry for the One who knows them as individuals, as a beautiful creation, a masterpiece. Hungry for this God who will guide them through whatever endeavor or danger they may face, a God who promises never to leave them or forsake them.

The chaplain told us about 70 men raised their hands and had accepted Christ. The chaplain announced to the men that there would be a baptism @ 6:30am tomorrow and any who received Christ were invited to come and profess with their mouths that Jesus is Lord. There was a bit of extra time at the end where Aaron's leader asked the men if any of them had prayer requests that they'd like prayer for. One after the other they stood and asked prayer for their baby who had born since they'd been at bootcamp, for their Grandma who was ill, for family who had lost a loved one, for a Dad who had been diagnosed with cancer since the recruit had been at boot camp, for their platoons to make it to graduation day in June, etc. Here was a room full of recruits, training for the fight of their lives...while the world continued on around them outside of that base.

For maybe the 1st time tonight, I truly felt proud to be an American. Not that I am not thankful or grateful to live where I live, but I'm not sure I've ever felt pride in my country like that. It's really hard to put into words the overwhelming sense of pride and gratitude I felt towards these men tonight and towards the many men who have given their lives to serve our country and fight for our freedom. As the men asked and sang "Proud to Be An American" for a second time, I couldn't help but look around the room and feel truly proud to live where I live, in the country I am in.

Thank you to the men and women, sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, who have chosen to serve in the Armed Forces and to fight for our freedom. Thank you to those who have chosen to hold them loosely and have let them go, many times for months and years at a time, in order to pursue their calling to serve. Thank you to those who have lost their lives in many battles, near and far, in order to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

To the recruits we shared the chapel with tonight, I commit to praying for you and for your platoons and the families you represent as you continue on this journey of service and dedication to our country. I commit to raising my daughter to honor this country and deeply respect each of the men and women who have chosen the Armed Forces and to teach her the value of her freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment